Thursday, November 4, 2010

Perfectly Imperfect - Michaela's College Bathroom

Thursday afternoon has come, so it's time for another Perfectly Imperfect room! If you missed my inaugural post last week, you can find it here to get some more background on this feature.

This week, I have the lovely and sweet Michaela sharing her college bathroom with all of us.

Hi everyone! I'm so excited to be sharing on First Time Fancy today!  I always love reading Kerry's blog.  We actually have a lot in common, as Kerry and I are both in design school. I'm an interior design major at Seattle Pacific University and lovin' every second of it.  I started my blog, Michaela Noelle Designs, this past summer and have been continually blessed by the ideas and inspiration I find out in blogland.  Stop by if you'd like!

When Kerry e-mailed me and asked me to be a contributer for her Perfectly Imperfect post, I was thrilled! (Thanks, Kerry!) After her initial post about imperfections and how easy it is to get caught up in the loveliness of all our favorite blogs, I was impacted.  I think it's important to be real with each other, even when we want to make it look like we have it all together.  I followed Kerry's post with a post of my own, sharing all my little quirks!  I'll be the first to admit, while I wish my home and my life were perfectly organized and beautiful, it is not! And for this perfectionist, that is a big confession (:  Today I'm going to share with you my humble little bathroom in my new apartment that I share with my roommate.  It's nowhere near ready for the pages of House Beautiful, but it works for us, and that's what counts!

Here are some details:
*We are in college, so we did this on a budget
*We're not allowed to paint the walls :(
*We both did ballet when we were younger (& even took it from the same studio without knowing!), so decided to incorporate ballet as our theme.





The sweet black and white organic print of the shower curtain reminds me of the laces of a point ballet shoe (:



Okay.  This light is a little ridiculous!  As we're all well aware of, fluorescent is not the best for doing make up in the morning.  But that's how it goes when you live in an apartment complex with standard builder fixtures.


Here are some of our accessories on the counter.  I love small jars and vases and candles.  Really, I love anything breakable (:


Our splurge of the room: Anthropologie candle.  Well worth the money though, let me tell ya!


Since we chose a ballet theme, we selected pictures of ourselves from when we were little all dressed up in our tutus.  I got cheap frames from Michael's and hot-glued colored rhinestones to the frame.  Then I matted the picture with a colorful pink piece of card stock, also from Michael's.


I painted this ballet shoe for the middle of the display.  Over summer I taught myself how to watercolor and decided to give a ballet shoe a try.  It's not perfect...but it has character and goes with the theme!


The wall across from the mirror has some cute fashion prints I found for a bargain in New York last summer.  Only $5 for all three prints!



Here's the oh-so-tiny sink area.  Nothin' fancy or functional about it, really.  I'm pretty sure the sink is the smallest I've ever seen and the amount of counter space from the edge of the sink to the end of the counter is about an inch, so washing my face turns into quite a disaster zone (water everywhere). The countertop is just a laminate...but I'm dreaming of granite, quartz or marble!


And lastly, our beautiful linoleum floor.  Isn't it lovely?! (Hardwood or ceramic tiles, please!)

Although the bathroom doesn't have high-end finishes, it's clean and works just fine for little ole' me. It's Perfectly Imperfect. And I'm okay with that.  

Thanks so much Michaela for visiting today and sharing your sweet little apartment bathroom. I think you've done a great job making use of what you've been given (and I adore that shower curtain!).
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Great post Michaela and Kerry!

    Michaela, although your bathroom may not be perfectly styled to a "T" like one in a magazine or online, it is you! And I think that is what Kerry is trying to get across here. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! college bathrooms. ahhh, this makes me want to go home and do something with mine. other than scowl at it.

    and the ballet is amazing. i did ballet for 11 years, and nothing relaxes me like seeing aanything ballet related or hearing classical music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's clean and what's more important in a bathroom? It's also very neat and cute - I dig it. Those prints are available on art.com. I've been looking at them for years and have always wanted to buy them...thanks for the push!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and, my first year university roomie and i also did ballet together when we were four! we didn't realize that until we were in grade nine at a performing arts high school together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Shannon- thanks! (:

    @Miss CMajor- Yes, I agree cleanliness is most important!! That's so funny about ballet. I couldn't believe it, I found a picture of me in ballet class when I was little and looked harder and found my roomie Anna in the back of the picture!! Small world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think these posts are so fun kerry! and i love michaela's blog--she definitely did a good job~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shower curtain - so cute! I love these posts too, Kerry, keep 'em coming! AND I found a new blog - hi Michaela!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is exactly like my bathroom in our current apartment & just like Michaela there is only an inch between the sink and end of the counter - ugh! The cabinets have water damage all over them from past tenants.

    I think she's done a great job making this bathroom specific to their personalities, it's very hard to make a generic apartment you're own with all of the restrictions. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig