Monday, November 1, 2010

Getting in the Spirit

Continuing on with my Christmas themed post from this morning, I thought I'd share with you how B and I are getting into the holiday spirit a little early this year.

This Christmas, B and I have opted not to exchange presents with one another. We discussed how there isn't a whole lot that we need, and neither of us have the desire to fill our home up with more stuff. In lieu of exchanging gifts we have decided to do two things.

First - We discussed saving up money and going away for a long weekend in February or March for B's birthday. Nothing big and crazy, just some time for the two of us to get away. We need it, and after all the work that's happened around the house and everything else going on, I believe we deserve the small escape.

Second - We have decided to Adopt a Family this Christmas.

As a child, I grew up privileged, having a fabulous Christmas every year, thanks to family and friends. There was always tons of time to spend with those that we loved, lots of delicious food to eat, and of course, tons of gifts to open. Unfortunately, not all children are so lucky. Though all parents hope to make holidays special for their little one's, circumstances don't always allow it, and sometimes they just need a little making those childhood memories of Christmas a little extra special.

I've always been one who believes in the saying "It's better to give than to receive". I'd be a liar if I said I didn't enjoy receiving gifts, but when it really comes down to it, I always enjoy giving that special gift to someone else so much more. This year, that special gift will be making one family's Christmas that much better!

What better way to fill yourself with the holiday spirit than to make someone else's holiday special? If you're in the Toronto area and are interested in learning more about this Program, or sponsoring a family yourself - head over here.

I'm interested to hear from others out there who have taken part in a program like this, and what your experience was like! Has anyone else considered doing this?

I'm hoping that this is something we can turn into a yearly tradition... afterall, it's what the holidays are all about!
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. That is so great Kerry! We used to adopt a family every Christmas and get them gifts and a proper Christmas dinner. We never had any contact with the families, but we felt so good doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We won't have any contact with the family either, just information given to us by the agency - but I'll just be happy knowing that we can make a difference! :)

    So glad you used to do it as a tradition! Thanks Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea Kerry! We might have to do something similar. Also giving each other the gift of a weekend away together is definitely the way to go. The Christmas before we got married we did that and it was such a great time together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The adopt a family program sounds really rewarding. I've never done anything like it before, but we used to donate gifts to a specific family through my previous employer. The kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! My family and I bring another family a Christmas dinner each year and also some fun toys for their children. We also sponser two kiddos in Africa from World Vision and send them little packages each year. They take pictures with their new toys and send them to us, it's so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to hear you're giving back Kerry, I too feel that's what the holidays are about! Love it! Check out my blog today to see what I'm up to this Christmas!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig