Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A New(ish) Christmas Tradition

Well, for me the Christmas season hasn't officially kicked off just yet as the 106th Annual Toronto Santa Clause Parade won't happen until this coming Sunday! However, I couldn't wait much longer and wanted to get into some of the stuff that goes on around here at Christmas... starting with one little tradition. I started this one last Christmas (our first Christmas in our house) after grabbing the recipe off of Lindsay's business blog!

Wouldn't it be nice if you could get a little something for your co-workers, neighbours and acquaintances? Or maybe a nice hostess gift for a spur of the moment Christmas get together? Well, the Candy Cane Bark idea that we found on Lindsay's blog was the perfect answer last year. B and I whipped up our own variation using semi-sweet chocolate, peppermint extract, white chocolate and broken up candy cane bits! It's easy to do!

1. Melt down the semi-sweet chocolate in a doubel boiler (or whatever type of chocolate you prefer. I'd recommend Baker's Chocolate or something of equal or better quality. Lindsay and I both learned this the hard way), add peppermint extract if you wish, and then pour it over wax paper on a cookie sheet, using a spatula to spread it out. Stick it in the freezer to harden.

2. While that sets, melt down the white chocolate using the double boiler and stir in some peppermint extract to taste. Once thats melted (and your other chocolate is set) pour your white chocolate on top quickly (using a spatula to spread) and sprinkle your broken candy cane bits on top. Stick in freezer to harden.

3. Once it's all set break it up. I used my hands to just snap it up. If this is the route you choose, make sure you spread the chocolate thin or you'll have a hard time breaking it up!

4. Package all pretty like Lindsay did....


I knew I'd be whipping up a few batches this year, as it was a hit with my coworkers last year, and we found it to be a great hostess gift when placed into a pretty tin. So I headed over to Etsy last week and ordered some Glassine Bags and Bakers Twine from Sweet Pea's Treat Shop.



All I have left to do is design some pretty little sticker labels to help package up everything all pretty. I cannot wait to deliver these little goodies to my coworkers! It's nice to be able to give a little something to everyone without busting the bank!

Anyone else tempted to try this easy little gift idea? Do you have another homemade gift or recipe that you turn to every year for easy gift giving? Would love to hear what some of you have up your sleeves!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I love the idea of giving edible gifts at Christmas. Last year, I made little jars of cinnamon butter using a recipe from Darby at Fly Through Our Window:
    http://ramblingrenovators.blogspot.com/2009/12/holiday-randoms-ii.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this idea, i might have to give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love giving away home-made Holiday gifts... it adds that special little personal touch.

    Last year I made Homemade Granola for everyone in my family... yup 18 jars of it! :)

    http://www.blog.pinkpeacockdesigns.com/2009/12/making-christmas-granola.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. @B - thank you! Not only is it "festively cute" it's really yummy too! :)

    @Jen - mmmm cinnamon butter! Sounds delicious! I'll have to check out your post!

    @Danielle - if you try it out, I'd love if you share how it went down on your blog! It is a fun little project and I enjoy making it with B!

    @Brittany - I think I remember your homemade granola post! It's such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea, I saw it last year as well and wanted to try it!! Share pics when you finish yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i made this last year - so DEEEEliscious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo! I might have to try this, they sound delicious!

    I'd love to give away something homemade this year. Last year I gave mini "crackers" (you know the paper kind that you pull and there is a little toy in side) that I found at Superstore. They're cute and little and perfect to tape onto a card or... a homemade gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! You're so sweet to give them to co workers and neighbors. Fun way to spread joy among your friends and family! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love this idea!

    Haha, I actually did the exact same thing as Jen from Rambling Renovators!

    I may have to steal Britt's idea this year though...I love granola!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love homemade gifts--they just seem so much more personal--and are always so cute! i love this idea girly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love homemade gifts, but i will say that the first year i made ornaments for my relatives I was exhausted! i got home from work each night and sewed like one of Cinderella's mice!! it still felt good though. a great magazine to check out for DIY gifts is Real Simple. it's pretty and always has great ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig