Monday, January 9, 2012

DIY Pirate Party Bunting

This morning I shared some details of Parker's 3rd Birthday party. I would've loved to help out more with planning, but things have been a little crazy over here. At the end of the day, I'm thrilled that I even found the time to put together the no-sew bunting that hung at the party. It was so easy, and quick to put together, and the best part was that I already had everything I needed for this project on hand - so it cost me absolutely nothing!


What You'll Need:
1. Fabric
2. String/Rope/Twine/Ribbon (choose your poison)
3. Scissors 
4. Double sided hem tape (I used an adhesive tape that I picked up at the fabric store, so there was no need for an iron)


January 6, 2012

First things first, I cut my fabric into long rectangles with the stripes running vertical. From the start I knew that I wanted these flags to be rectangular, to better resemble tattered pirate sails.  In order to give them that ragged look, I cut different size points at the bottom of the fabric using my pinking shears - which made them look like this...

January 6, 2012

There was no measuring or straight lines involved for a project like this. When you are going for that ragged look, there is no need for accuracy or perfection, making this project a whole lot easier! 

Next, I took my string and tied off a loop at the end to help make hanging it easier. With that tied off, it was time to start adding my flags. I cut my adhesive tape into strips the same size as the width of my rectangles. Then I cut each strip in half and applied them to the flags, with a small gap in between to run the string through.

January 6, 2012
{as the above picture indicates Halle was intrigued by the whole process...}

January 6, 2012

The next step was as simple as folding over the top of my flag so that the adhesive strips would meet. 

January 6, 2012

... and voila - simple bunting, perfect for a little man's pirate party.

IMG_6930


IMG_6892

Have you been working on any party crafts recently?
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. SO creative! You could totally reuse/repurpose this at Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!! I love this little DIY. Great job...and yay for Halle helping...I mean watching :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's absolutely perfect :) Great job, Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats fantastic, Kerry. I'm past this stage, and kind of miss it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig