Wednesday, May 9, 2012

First Look - Halle's New Nursery

By far, Halle's nursery is coming together the quickest in our new place. As in, it's actually a space worth sharing with all of you. Though for the most part we are keeping all of the elements from her old room, we're still making quite a few changes since we now have a larger space to work with. 


One of the biggest changes would've been obvious in her last monthly photo.


9 Months - April 23, 2012

The wicker chair that was in her nursery in Toronto was left behind with my parents. The much larger (and more comfy) Ektorp was a temporary solution when we got here, but I'm really starting to like it. Halle doesn't nurse as often any more, and usually sleeps through the night, so this chair is  mostly used when I'm putting her to bed. It will also be a great chair for story time as there is a lot more space for us to snuggle into it together.

But here's a shot of the whole room to give you an idea of where we are at the moment...

IMG_7525


So, here's the problems I'm having. I'm sure the biggest one you all saw right away - the curtains! They are way too short for this new space, which comes as no surprise to me with her last room being so tiny. They are hanging for now to help darken the room a little for her daytime naps, but it's glaringly obvious that we need to get new curtains. Since this is not a forever home, my gut instinct is telling me that same plain white panels from IKEA will do the trick... unless I can come up with some way to add length to these two lovely panels. 

The other thing I am struggling with is the large amount of wall space we are now blessed with. Halle's old room had very little wall space, and I think we filled it perfectly. Now, I'm trying to use what we have in this new space, but it's clear we need to find some new pieces. For starters, we've hung three of her bookshelves to the right of the window, and they are working perfectly.

IMG_7520


I'm pretty sure the remaining 2 (my father built us one more before we moved) will go to the right of the window over the chair - thoughts? 

IMG_7526

I'm thrilled that we also finally have a spot to hang her footprints that we have been doing monthly. We hung them directly over her crib and I love, love, love it! (Don't mind the other small pieces hanging randomly on the wall. They are just hanging on screws that were already there, and this is our attempt to keep them off the floor and out of Halle's reach). 

IMG_7521


That's pretty much where it ends. We have all of the pieces from her old gallery wall...

January 26, 2012

I just have to decide where to hang them and how. My first thought is over the dresser, as we are no longer using it as a change table (it's much safer to change this squirmer on the floor these days). 

IMG_7523


However, since it's a larger space, we may need to add to it. Who am I kidding - we WILL need to add to it. So now to find the perfect pieces. 

So there you have it. Halle's nursery... in it's true state (meaning almost everything is still looking for a new home here). I'll be taking a break from blogging tomorrow to prep for a family trip we are taking (hence the diaper bag and suitcase on the floor in the above photo). I'll be back on Friday with my fancy finds and a few details to share about our upcoming trip!
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. It's looking great Kerry! Halle is such a little cutie-pie!! Next time I am in BC for business we should meet up! It's looking like September-ish...

    PS. Love the ABC print! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you put this together so quickly!! Looks fantastic, K. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful pieces. I love the dresser and thos curtains are so sweet! It came together nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah, definitely over the dresser and add to it. i love the footprint idea! so smart and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the window treatments and the bear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its looking great Kerry! It feels so homey already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good! Not sure you would want the curtains to cover the heating unit - seems like a good length now. Love, love, love the book shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty Kerry! I agree with anonymous though - you don't want curtains over the electric baseboards - or are they hot water heaters baseboards...then it might work. I used Ikea panels, I have added fabric to them to personalize them.

    I would put the gallery wall above the dresser too! I have been working like crazy but hoping that maybe next week you might have time for coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute nursery! I love the teal dresser! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks lovely, Kerry. You've already done so much! You could always add a small band of another fabric top and bottom to your panels... Halle is getting so big! She's is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe you've pulled this together so quickly - it looks great! Like others, I thought the curtains were meant to be that length because of the heaters. I can't wait to see what you do - I also have a pair of too-short curtains I'd love to keep and have been thinking about adding more fabric to the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You move fast! :) Great job! I love the three little bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. seriously look so fantastic--the bookshelves and all the little details are so charming!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bookshelves are perfect there, and OMG I love the turquoise dresser! I think some white Ikea curtains would work great in there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kerry, I just discovered your blog. Your daughter is so cute and her nursery is adorable.
    I think you could just add some white fabric as a band on the bottom of the existing drapery to have them be to the floor. The colours in the fabric is great and is awesome with the teal dresser.
    I hope I am not going to be too forward as a new reader. I may suggest swapping the placement of the dresser and Halle's crib. the dresser in the main wall with the gallery wall of art above would look awesome and have big impact when you first enter the room, and this will also allow for the lounge chair in the corner to not look too squished.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Kerry, I am really liking little baby Halle's room, I was wondering where the mustard coloured rug is from? I like how it covers most of the hardwood floor, that way the little one can play safely on there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @decoguy - thank you so much! I purchased the rug at HomeSense (HomeGoods if you are in the US) last spring when I was pregnant with Halle. It was a great find, and I also love that it covers most of the hardwood! In our old home it was just meant to cover the old rug on the floor and give her more place to play + texture to explore. We love it just as much as the day I bought it. It was definitely a good investment!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig