Monday, October 3, 2011

Guest Post - This Dusty House

Good Morning! I hope that you all enjoyed your weekend! Over here we're starting the week off busy as can be, so we'll jump right in to our first guest post of the week! Nette is a fellow Canuck and GTA blogger, and I've been hooked since the first moment I stumbled across her blog. I trust you will as well. I'll let her handle the rest of the introduction though...

Hello First Time Fancy readers! I’m Nette, one half of the partnership that makes up the duo from This Dusty House. I’m the writer and photographer; he’s the muscle, the DIYer, the one with half the good ideas. When Kerry asked me to guest post for her this week, I knew there was only one topic I could discuss to properly introduce you to me, the Husband, Mocha, and Pekoe. It’s a topic that I think every blogger needs to ask themselves:

Why are you blogging?

Why are you spilling everything to the world? Why open the door of your house and invite your readers into your bedroom, your bathroom, your secret junk closet? Are we secretly vain, searching for validation? Do we enjoy the sound of our own words, like a university professor of mine once accused bloggers of? Are we in it for the bucket-loads of money, since blogging is such a lucrative industry? (Ha! Yes, that was sarcasm.) 

I think every single blogger has more motivation than that.



We got the keys to our house 6 months ago. It is a tiny little bungalow, a fixer-upper with income potential in the basement. With a month to make the place livable so we could move from our apartment, we were absolutely reliant on friends and family to help us get it ready. But, unlike many bloggers, I didn’t start This Dusty House for friends and family, though they’re certainly an important part of our readership. I always meant it to be read by complete strangers, people interested in home renovations, tiny bungalows, gardening, decorating, and beautiful kitchens.  



We rushed through the demolition and hurried to get the basement apartment ready so we could move in somewhere when the lease on our rented apartment ended. Everything moved fast and, even now, 6 months later, if I sit back and think about it too hard, I’m blown away by the adventure we’re in the middle of. Here we are, 24 years old, still newlywed, pets to Pekoe the cat and masters of Mocha the cockapoo, with a house that, in such a short time, went from run-down and neglected to ours.



Therein lies the answer to the question. I blog because I have a story. It might not be a unique story -- we’re not the first young couple to buy a fixer-upper and document the renovation process -- but it’s our story and as a writer, I can’t resist.

I hope you’ll drop by This Dusty House for a visit, to check out our before and afters, and to read about our adventure. We might be close to done our major renovations for now, but who’s to say there isn’t another one right around the corner?

Thank you so much Nette, for posting today... and of course for starting that great little blog of yours! For those of you who were happy to discover this new gem of a blog, make sure to come back tomorrow! I have more to share!
SHARE:

1 comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig