Monday, August 23, 2010

Postcard Artwork

We've all seen it done before! Postcards as artwork! This past Monday Caitlin Wilson shared her French postcard artwork on her blog, and it reminded me of our own.


As I've revealed before, last November B and I spent a wonderful five days in Dublin, Ireland. I loved it, and we wanted to bring a little something back with us to remember our first overseas trip together. While visiting the Guinness Storehouse, we agreed that postcards would be the perfect things to bring home and frame. 




Though it's been ages since we got back from that vacation, we haven't got around to doing anything with them. Then, when B's parents came to visit last month, our solution arrived! B's mom brought along these old frames she had laying around.




B was actually the one to suggest that they would be great for our postcards, and my mind set into motion! I started by prying open the backs of the frames and taking everything out. Then I took a matte black spray paint we had in the garage (it was actually a high heat resistant black... I figured it would do the trick anyway...) and gave both frames two coats.


Once they were done, I concluded that there would be no reusing the old mattes. I thought about adding some white paper behind the postcards, but the backgrounds were already white and I didn't want to take away from them. My final decision? To use the plan old cardboard from the original artwork.

Apologies for the crappy quality photos... didn't have any natural light to work with...


Both B and I like the way the white postcards stand out against the cardboard, plus I think it works with the vintage feel they have!

We still have two postcards left over, and I have to decide what to do with them. I may or may not add them to the gallery wall I am planning to do in the basement, which these two frames will be included in, along with some other artwork we have.

Do you have some post cards you've framed in your home? How about other pieces to remind you of special places you've travelled to? Would love to hear what other people have done!
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Wow, those look great!! They are perfect because they are sentimental (from your trip) and they are perfect art additions! I actually just bought some cards from Ikea this weekend. I don't know where they are going to go, but I am definitely framing them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig