Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Little Lettering

While I was still visiting back home, I worked with my Mom to get a bunch of stuff ready for Halle's party next month. Though it may seem a little early, I figured that the more that I accomplished during that visit home, the less I would have to do back in BC (and then transport back), or try to finish up when I return next month.


Many of the projects were small and tedious, and I will wait until I share the whole party with you to show those. However, one project I tackled, was a ton of fun, and I just couldn't wait to get it up on here.


While I was sitting around one Saturday morning, trying to decide what I needed to do for the party while I was there, I decided I wanted to make a sign welcoming our guests. I had an idea of what I wanted to do and began to search around Pinterest for inspiration. I finally stumbled across one pin, that brought me to this great blog post and I was instantly inspired by these images...


letteringblogpost1

dana_tanamachi_10answers

So, I headed to the Dollar Store and found some orange poster board for 59 cents. When I got home, I pulled out a pencil and straight edge ruler and began planning out my sign. The first thing I did was measure out the area that I wanted my first words to be in. I decided the "W" of Welcome would be the largest so I measured an 8 inch space for the "W" and the remainder of welcome would be half the size, at 4 inches. Then I freehanded my letters, using the first image from above as inspiration...

July 15, 2012

Next, I decided that I loved the banners on that first image as well so "To Halle's" would be the next words I would add, inside of the banner, using a different font. Again, I freehanded everything before I went over this whole section of the banner in a fine tip black marker. Everything then got filled in using black. I decided to do this now since I was happy with this part of the sign. I figured that way if I made any major mistakes below, I wouldn't have to worry about erasing any of the things I really liked. 

July 15, 2012

Then, I began to measure for my next section which would read "Birthday", again in a different font and at 5 inches high...

July 14, 2012

Again, each letter was free handed, using pencil, onto the poster board. I would often find myself drawing a letter and erasing the whole thing, or parts of it, numerous times, before I finally had it looking proper. Especially for "Birthday", which I found I erased the entire word many times before I had it right. It took quite a while but finally I had it just right and was able to do all of the outlining. I also added a small strip below it, with freehanded stars and circles...

July 17, 2012

For "party", I decided to use another script and spent a great deal of time browsing around online for just the right inspiration...

July 17, 2012

I was able to finish up most of the sign before we had to leave to head back here to B.C.

July 17, 2012

I still need to shade in the "shadows" behind the letters in "Birthday" and I plan on drawing something next to the word "party" - I still have to decide what to put there though. Probably something puppy related, as that will be the theme of her second party.

This was really my first attempt at trying out fancy lettering like this. I could use some improvement, but I'd say for a first try it turned out pretty good. What'd really like to do is try out some fancy chalkboard lettering like those in my inspiration. Have you ever done it - on paper or chalkboard? I'd love to know, and if you have them, I'd love to see some photos as well!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. That turned out so great - and must have taken sooo much patience!! Looking forward to seeing all the projects you get uo to for her next party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did that by hand? amazing! i always think that no matter what, it will still look like my writing to me, and then therefore not what i was going for, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great!!! Love all the different fonts you chose and I think the finished product will be just fabulous :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is looking good Kerry! I am a sucker for fonts, I used to make signs when I was younger just creating my own letters, so much more interesting than all caps and a sharpie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I pinned a couple tutorials on how to make lettering like this too. I can't wait to write something awesome on our new kitchen chalkboard. Uh, when the kitchen in done of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great job! I love this kind of typography!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't belive that was all freehand - you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so amazing, i need to try this out :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What kind of market did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used a regular old sharpie to go over my pencil lines! Worked perfectly!

      Delete
  10. love the poster! here's some of mine: http://thecrazybeautifulone.blogspot.com/2012/07/daily-doodle.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig