Monday, May 31, 2010

A Sunny Transformation: Part 2

Remember a couple of weeks ago, I shared with you the transformation of my ugly green yard chairs into some bright and shiny blue ones? (If you missed it, you can check it out here) Well, the other two chairs AND the table are finished and ready for their close up!

After completing the blue chairs, I moved onto transforming the "blah beige" one chairs. Here's a little before shot:






Yeah, nothing special right? I figured since I had that fabulous blue on our other four chairs, I'd go with another colour and picked yellow! Yup! Yellow! Since the style, size and shap of the chairs was completely different from the other four, I thought it was a great opportunity to throw in another colour that could liven the space up a little.


I followed the same steps, as when I did the first chairs, wiping them down and then spraying them with the yellow paint. We started off with a can of the Rustoleom 2x coverage spray paint in Sunshine yellow. I must say, I was extremely disappointed in the coverage I got from it. So when that ran out, we picked up a can of the regular indoor/outdoor sunshine yellow from Rustoleom and got about the same, if not better coverage from it. My advice, don't waste the extra buck for more coverage... you won't get it!


Well, needless to say, it took way longer than I expected, but I finally finished up the yellow chairs the same day that I gave my range hood a little face lift. BUT, before I reveal them, I'll share with you my table progress - which I completed yesterday afternoon.


I started off by getting the table up onto sawhorses and B sprayed it down first with the hose to get the worst of the grime off, and then I went over it again with some of our eco works glass cleaner.



Once it was all cleaned, I pulled out some old newspaper we had laying around, and some green painters tape and got to work covering up both sides of the glass table.


It took a lot of time and patience, but was worth it to not have to sit around with a razor blade afterward scraping off any paint that got on the glass. So, with everything taped up, I got two coats of blue on. I didn't want to kill myself getting the paint perfect, as we agreed that the majority of the time we have people over, we'd likely have a table cloth on the table.

After letting the table sit and dry for quite a while (in the glorious weekend sun), we got it put together and got everything up on the deck. I'm really happy with the lovely bright colours we now have on the drab ugly back deck. It'll work for the time being (our friends even came over for dinner tonight and commented that they liked the colour choice).




What do you think? Improvement over my faded dark green and blah beige chairs and table?
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good jobbie! I have two of those hunter green chairs (from the previous owners, discovered behind the garage) that were destined for a garbage dump...perhaps I will give this a try! Did your hand fall off when you were finished? How many bottles per chair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adds a little pop! Love it! I did something similar to a pair of old planters... :) http://desire2decorate.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-about-blue.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just came across your blog and I really like it! I am also a Torontonian, so I love to find out about other blogs in the area. I am officially a Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks @Shannon (first comment!) I knew we couldn't give them away (or else we'd have NO patio furniture) - so giving them new life was my only option! I tried doing the blue chairs with the can trigger and it killed me, so we bought a clip on trigger for the cans it makes a world of difference. I would definitely recommend getting on! I think overall I used 4 cans of blue and 3 yellow. If you give it a try I hope you share it on your blog!

    @Wendy I seriously love the blue you used for your urns! So perfect!

    @Shannon Thanks for reading, glad to have you following! I'll be sure to check out your blog as well! I love finding new local bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great transformation Kerry! Looks the perfect spot to hang out with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at that table and chairs really makes me want a margarita! Is that a normal reaction?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you... and Sara... I don't know if it's normal, but I like that reaction!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig