Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Recent Garage Sale Scores

Like many other bloggers, hitting up garage sales and thrift stores is one of my favourite ways to furnish and decorate our home. We've found some really great pieces over the years, and it's a fantastic way to find unique pieces that reflect your personality and stye. Since moving into a much larger home, we have found that there is a lot we need but we just don't have the money to spend at the moment. Thanks to some recent garage sale finds, we're slowing piecing together a few more spaces in our home. Check these out.

Last month one of our friends sent me a few text messages with pictures of furniture her neighbour was selling at her yard sale. Unfortunately, B and I had been across the border for the day and I didn't get her messages until after the sale was done. One of the pictures she sent was of these beautiful little chairs, and the lady was only asking $1 a piece for them. As soon as I saw them I shot our friend a message letting her know that if her neighbour hadn't sold them, we would gladly take them off her hands. Lucky for us, no one else (aside from our friend) had seen the potential in these beauties. They are now resting in our garage, waiting for me to show them a little TLC. 


GarageSaleFinds

GarageSaleFindsGarageSaleFinds

I plan to paint them and upholster the seats. I'm hoping I can find some fabric in my collection to use, so as not to shell out too much money for them.

On the long weekend, our garage sale effort ended after our first stop, but at least we came home with something. I was just about ready to walk away from the sale when I spotted these three floral prints in IKEA frames resting on an old dresser. 

GarageSaleFinds


I thought that they would look nice in our guest room, so B asked the lady about much she wanted for them. She said $12 for all three... then talked herself down to $10. We figured one frame alone was worth that much so it was definitely worth it. Home they came, and now they are also sitting in our garage. We need to work on hanging more artwork inside before these are added to our space, but they will find a home soon. (They also need to be cleaned off. Note to those hosting a Garage Sale - PLEASE dust off your merchandise before you set up shop!)

There's still a lot we need, and we're scouring Craigslist as well as working on plan to build a few pieces of furniture. It's fun piecing together a place that we can finally make feel like our own. Have you stumbled across any great finds recently, either at a yard sale or on Craigslist? I love hearing stories about successful treasure hunts!
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I love those chairs!!! They'd look great a nice bright colour (they remind me a bit of the bright green desk chairs from YHL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous finds! I have driven by an estate sale set up near my house twice with to-die-for chairs, but have yet to stop. I am afraid of buying something I don't really need.. but $1 for a chair? And $10 for all those frames - score!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It drives me crazy when I go to a yard sale and everything is dirty and dusty! I've even seen people selling baby clothes with poop stains! Who does that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the prints! I'm such a sucker for a good floral :) Haven't done too much second hand shopping recently, but in the past I've scored chairs, ornate frames, and little decorative things. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy good deal on those chairs!! I can so see them update with pretty fabric and maybe a bold color! I'm also love thos prints! I love CL and Thrift Stores :) I haven't had much recent luck at yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the chairs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the florals are gorgeous and the chairs - def one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your chairs. Those prints are fabulous as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frig off! those chairs are amazing! So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Moly - what amazing stuff! Those chairs are going to be awesome, I can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig