Thursday, November 8, 2012

In This House...

It's hard to believe, but we've been in this rental for over 6 months already. Time is certainly flying by, and we're still working on making this place feel more like home. One of my biggest initiatives has been to get artwork that is unique, personal and meaningful up on our walls. I've already shared our bedroom art project here and here, our hallway gallery wall here, and the updates we've made to Halle's gallery wall here. Next on my list was this big blank space next to our entertainment unit in our living room...


July 18, 2012

Just like everything else we have put on the walls, I wanted it to be something we loved and something that really reflected us as a family. Everything worked out perfectly when I attended the BLEND event back in late September, and won this beautiful decal from Danielle's shop, Urban Walls.

7d0e330233b20314f57369c8f51459b7.1280.1280

A decal is the perfect solution for art in a rental. It's a great way to get something on the wall that isn't permanent, and it won't cause any damage. Plus, options are endless so you're sure to find something that speaks to you, especially in Danielle's shop. 

For us, it would've been easy to just slap it up on the wall and call it a day, but that wasn't what I wanted. Since we're not too sure how long we'll be in this home, or where we'll be next, I wanted to do something to ensure we could take this message with us wherever we go. It all started on a rainy Sunday when we made a trip to The Home Depot...

November 4, 2012


That melamine coated pressed board was exactly what we were looking for, and we were thrilled that we didn't even need it cut. It was larger than the decal, but would leave us the perfect border all the way around, and it put us out only $26!

Election night was the night to get this project going. While the TV kept us up-to-date in the background, we got to work preparing to apply the decal. B measured everything so we could get it nice and centred. Then we gave the whole board a wipe down with a slightly damp cloth and then began to apply the decal.

PicMonkey Collage

We had some problems with keeping the decal straight on the board. The easiest way to fix this was to actually cut the decal in between the lines of text, and apply it in sections. You can see B cutting it in the middle picture on the right, and it's obvious in the picture on the bottom left that we have two separate pieces. Cutting the decal really helped make this whole process easier. In the end, it worked out perfectly and the whole thing looked great. Halle loved helping too...

November 6, 2012

With the decal on, it was time get our big heavy board up on the wall. B would guess it weighs around 30lbs, so we had to be sure to get something sturdy to keep it up on the wall. B had picked up some of these corner braces at Canadian Tire when we were out on Sunday...

IMG_0180

Then, there was a whole lot of measuring, drilling and inserting of anchors...

November 6, 2012

What B did was place the braces in the wall so that the board would rest on top of it, not cradled inside of it. Then he took the two braces for the top and attached them to the board first. Lastly, he put the board in place and attached the top braces to the wall, and then screwed the bottom braces into the board. One night of a little bit of dedication and we ended up with this beauty in our living room...

November 7, 2012

November 7, 2012

I am SO in love with it. I have always loved how decals look on walls, but I really love how this one looks on our melamine coated board. It's thick and heavy and really has presence in the room. I think it's a statement piece, and the message is a perfect reminder for all of us on how we should approach each day. Halle really loved it too. Once it was up on the wall she kept running over to look up at it, then she would laugh, run away and repeat. I wish I'd got a video of it. The best part for me though, is knowing that I will get to take this with us wherever we go in the future.

If you're looking for something great to spruce up your space, check out Urban Walls. I'm already eyeing up these awesome polka dots - I think they'd be perfect for Halle's room!

urban walls polka dots

Have you been adding artwork to your places? Getting up to anything besides preparing for the holiday's? I can't lie... I have Christmas on the brain these days, I'm just not allowed to decorate until after American Thanksgiving! ;)
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. This looks awesome. Love it! And I love that you went the extra step and put it on the melamine board. Makes it pop a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project Kerry! I've been reading your blog for ages and love the projects you share. I am also completely in love with those polk-a-dot decals. Pinned them already!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg I LOVE it! I might have to steal the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really awesome. I love it and so smart that you can take it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome! I love the sentiment of the decal too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it - so perfect for that space. Also Halle looks like a natural DIYer, and looks like she knows how to work a credit card :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! What a beautiful way to fill an empty space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great Kerry!!! Love that you made it removable instead of just putting it on the wall, such a neat idea! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore it!! It looks so amazing perfect in your living room!! And seeing those pics of Halle made me smile she is such a cutie:) I think those polka dots would be perfect in her room :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh, it stands out so much more on the white background! this was a total win!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally love it on your wall, great job! Halle is such an adorable little helper. :) I'd use those metallic polka dots for a baby girl's room in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Turned out awesome Kerry, I love that it's not directly on the wall, it gives it such a bigger impact :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been eyeing those gold polka dots for ages! Love how this turned out and I agree that it looks even better that it would on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it ,looks great on that space,your living room is looking even nicer
    xox
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great project, and I LOVE the polka dots! How fun are those?! I just bought some thank you cards that have gold polka dots scattered on the front. Love!
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  17. I.LOVE.THIS.
    I'm actually gifting away this decal in 'white' right now and added your DIY project as some 'in the house...' hanging inspiration.
    you're so clever. xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig