Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Design Decisions - Making Progress

As you've all noticed, I have been slacking in our personal design posts (with the exception of the two posts this week). This is for a few reasons, the number 1 being that things are slow going with Halle being around. She is quite obviously top priority for us these days (as well as leaving us pretty sleep deprived). With baby stuff aside though, I haven't posted a whole lot on our bathroom design decisions because I haven't really had time to sit down and pull together a solid design plan. This means we've been working blindly, which left me feeling uncertain about where we were headed. Of course, there was also the issue of B and I not seeing eye to eye on design plans. However, I can finally say I'm feeling better about things and I'm ready to share some decisions that we've made, with you.

One big decision that saved us quite a bit of money was to not get my father to build us a custom vanity. Instead we opted for the IKEA Godmorgon vanity (in birch veneer), and lucky for us they just had a bathroom sale. This means for our sink and vanity, we only paid just over $400. HUGE savings!

godmorgon-sink-cabinet-with--drawers__0089095_PE220913_S4

We have plans to add our own hardware choice to the front, which I am very happy about. Now if you are really observant, you will remember that we have a widespread Delta faucet for the sink, and IKEA sinks only have 1 hole for faucets. Well - wish us luck on this hack! My Dad picked us up a diamond blade hole saw for adding the extra holes we need for our faucet. Yes, I'm nervous, but I have complete faith it will not be a (complete) disaster. 

Now, with the vanity out of the way, this brings us to our paint choice. As I had previously mentioned, B was pulling for yellow while I wanted blue. I knew yellow would just not mesh well with our vanity, and thankfully B agreed once we got in there with the vanity and my paint deck from Para Paints. In the end, we decided on Ephiany, which is the perfect combination of blue grey, that works fabulously with the birch veneer.

P5159-24_EPIPHANY

As for tile, we knew without a doubt that the tub enclosure will be done with white subway tile, and we are leaning towards using grey or silver grout. For the floor we were stuck again. We knew we wanted a 12 x 24, but couldn't decide if we wanted a light grey or plain white. So last Thursday we took a trip out to Dufferin Tile to look around. We spotted a grey tile that we liked, but of course I forgot our paint chip, and wasn't sure if it would be to "matchy-matchy" with our paint choice (backwards decision making there, right?). So, we left on Thursday with nothing and headed back on Friday with my Para Paint deck in hand. Thankfully, our blue looked lovely with the grey tile, so home it came - all under $220. 

So things are most definitely coming together (finally). It's been a long road, and the fact that I'm sleep deprived is not helping with my decision making or stress levels, but I have hope everything will balance itself out soon... and we can bang this whole renovation thing out as quickly as possible.

... and I'll try to get better with sharing what's happening on our end with reno and decor decisions!
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. It all sounds lovely and I'm in awe of everything you've accomplished while taking care of a little babe too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds great kerry!! it's going to be a real vision when i'ts all done and halle can have baths!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like it is coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me thinks I need to head to Ikea. Looking forward to updates on this one so I can steal your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff Kerry!! After visiting my friend with an 8-week old I have no idea how you even manage to put together *a* blog post, much less do anything else with whatever spare moments you have! Bathroom is sounding good...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh fun! you guys have lots going on--as always:) ps--adore that blue paint!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig