Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Bye Bye Bubblegum

I'm digging myself out from under boxes, paint cans and drops cloths to share a little new house progress today! Things have been crazy this past week, but we're finally getting this place to feel like our home. The first room we wanted to tackle was Halle's new bedroom. I'm excited to give her a fun and whimsical girly room, and the first step was to get rid of the bubblegum pink on the walls...


IMG_1434

IMG_1435

B had started the painting process while Halle and I were back in Toronto. We picked out the paint colour and bought the paint from Home Depot before we even took possession. I wanted to keep the walls neutral (as I usually do), but didn't want to go with a stark white. Our final colour choice was Behr's Polished Pearl, and B was the one who pulled it to show me. It's still neutral, but it's a nice warm colour and it works nicely with the coral and teal we are using as accent colours, as well as the hints of yellow that will live in her room. 

The first couple of coats that B put on were Behr's Ultra Paint and Primer in one. It worked great to cover that bright pink, and saved us time and money. We did a third coat in Behr Premium Plus Eggshell finish, just to get a consistent look on the walls. The room is all painted now and what a difference it makes. It looks so fresh (the walls were very dirty) and warm, and I think it actually looks bigger now. (The photo below was taken from a slightly different angle... and obviously after we started to move stuff in... we still have a long way to go).

June 4, 2013

The walls weren't the only thing we painted though. When we arrived last Monday and I went to check out the room I noticed that the closet doors were really grimy looking and would need to be painted again. 

May 2013

I only considered using white for a split second, then I thought to myself that this will be a little girls room and I wanted it to be really fun for her. I suggested to B that we buy a quart of coral and use it for the closet doors. Our colour choice was CIL Oriental Coral, and I love how it looks on her doors.

May 2013

May 2013

I'd love to order these knobs, from Anthropologie for the closet doors. They are on sale for $2.95 a piece (AWESOME!)... but they want to charge me $20 to ship them to Canada (NOT so awesome). So our search continues for the perfect knobs.

linen-flower-knob_anthropologie


I feel so happy when I walk into her room now. It's such a sunny, happy space and there's more happy to come. We have a shade that's been following us around for about 3 years now that I would like to swap the ceiling fan out for, and the previous owners left some floating shelves that we plan to paint and hang again. So lot's more to do in this space, but we hope to do most of it with things we already have! 

What room's have you been refreshing with paint recently? Do you agree that there's nothing like a fresh coat of paint to transform a space? 
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. LOVE the colour for the closet doors!! It's coming together :)
    Also- I ran into the same thing when ordering some knobs from Anthro. To ship 2 knobs it was the same! I ended up getting them shipped to family in the states and picked them up from them when we went to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Leanne's comment...love that poppy door colour. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wall color looks great, and I love the doors!! What a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the coral doors! Boo to the knobs....the room is looking great. Why is it that people paint kid's rooms such a bright pink? Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So brilliant to paint the closet doors!! What a great idea. I love that colour of coral, it'll look awesome with all your teal accents.

    Glad to see things are coming together at the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great colours, and so lovely for a little lady.

    Have you considered also painting the inside of her closet?? We did this with MissC's room and really loved the result.

    I think this post had a sneak peak: http://styleingwithchildren.blogspot.ca/2013/03/downsizing-what-about-all-that-stuff.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have definitely thought about it, and mentioned it to B as well... by the time I brought it up, he was so over painting though. The inside of the closet is actually still grey (same colour as the rest of the house, and I assume the colour the room was before it went bubblegum pink haha). So it's liveable for now and I have time to think about the closet. I would like to address storage in there, anyway... at the moment it is just a wire shelf with a bar for hanging clothes.

      Delete
  7. Her room looks so sweet already!! I love those painted closet doors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the closet doors and the wall colour looks so much better (the carpet looks better too - it looked kind of purple with the pink walls). Not sure if you've checked out ebay yet, but I found some pretty good deals on knobs there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooo cute!! You should pop by the Anthro store downtown when you are in the area, they usually have lots of their knobs there including sale knobs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great! Coming together nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog post ! I too have a little girl's room to finish..my daughter is 1yr..but its a work in progress! I love the little book wall shelves..where can I get me some of those? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nimisha! :) Those wall shelves for her books were actually built for us by my father (who lives in Toronto). We love them, and I have seen all kinds of other ideas on Pinterest to DIY them OR I think pottery barn kids may sell some similar to that?

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig