Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remember...

Can you believe a whole decade has passed since that day? Ten whole years, of a world that just becomes more different by the day. 


I was a junior in high school, and I remember going in to school that morning and me and one of my closest friend's excitedly discussed how two weeks to the day we'd leave on our school trip to New York City (the day of my 16th birthday). Crazy, right? 


When the first plane flew into The World Trade Centre, I would've been in my Media class - however, I wouldn't hear about the whole horrible incident until I was in my religion class that afternoon. I didn't grasp the seriousness of the situation until I sat down in my History class at the end of the day, and we discussed it with our teacher (she was so great for that stuff). Then, finally seeing it on TV when I arrived home that night, it was so hard to believe that all of it was real, and I cried. I cried for all of the people who lost their lives and their families. I cried because I knew the world would change forever... and not for the best.


iwo-9-11-final

That night our trip was cancelled, and we never made it to New York City. It took me 6 more years to make that trip... which I'll share with you later this month. 


Today is such an important day to mark, and such an important day to remember. It may have happened in the United States, but it affected and changed the world forever. 


9-11

I learned so much in the years following those terrorist attacks. I was lucky to be taking World Religions that year, and learn a lot about Islam. The true Islam that is about love and peace, and not this extremist version that the world has become so familiar with. I learned things that I will share with my daughter, and I hope she will take in.

Where were you on that morning, ten years ago, when the world changed forever?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig