Monday, May 23, 2011

100 Reads in 1001 Days - 11 - 20

So I've finally finished 20 books. If you missed what I read for 1 - 10 (way back when!), you can find them here. I figured now was as good a time as any to share them with you as B and I enjoy this holiday Monday!  

I realized that one mistake I made in my first entry, was that aside from making my little collage of book covers, I didn't include an actual list of the books! I shouldn't assume that just because the book covers are there, that the titles (and authors) are easy to read. DUH! So, I present to you, numbers 11 through 20!

Second10

11: Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
12: The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton
13: Half Broke Horses - Jeanette Walls
14: Prisoner of Tehran - Marina Nemat
15: Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger
16: The Postmistress - Sarah Blake
17: The Book of Awesome - Neil Pasricha
18: Left Neglected - Lisa Genova
19: The House at Riverton - Kate Morton
20: Room - Emma Donoghue

These 10 took me a little longer than necessary. After I read "The Forgotten Garden", I just kind of stopped reading for a little while. I picked up a few books that didn't really strick my interest and it all just slowed down for a while. Then, after reading "The Book of Awesome", I hit the same kind of brick wall. Picked up a few that just didn't do it for me (plus was pretty busy with other things), and finally picked up Lisa Genova's newest book. Totally got me back on track!

As for my top 3 this time around...

#1: Without a doubt had to be Prisoner of Tehran by Marina Nemat. Marina is a survior of Evin prison, located in Tehran, Iran. She was held there as a political prisoner at 16, and endured an incredible amount. Her account of her young life absolutely blew me away, and at times it was easy to forget that I was reading a true story. The book has an undertone of hope and bravery, and is seriously inspiring on so many levels. It's eye opening and I believe a must read for everyone! There's a follow up book called After Tehran (she now lives in Canada!), and I am dying to read it!

#2: Left Neglected probably would've been #1 if not for the true life story of Marina Nemat that had me turning pages constantly. Lisa Genova is quickly climbing to the top of my favorite authors list. This book is based on a wife and mother, who works in a high power job, and suffers a traumatic brain injury. Just like Still Alice, I found myself unable to put this book down. Genova has a way of pulling you into the story and the character's struggles, that when you put the book down those emotions you felt when reading stick with you, as if you yourself were facing the same struggles. An incredible, incredible book that I highly recommend (especially if you loved Still Alice). Her next book (according to her website) is not to hit stores until 2013... what will I do with myself until then?

#3: The Book of Awesome was... well AWESOME! I recommend this read to everyone, because it will make you feel completely Awesome. Neil Pasricha is hilarious, and I love the simple conversational style of writing... I feel like I'm listening to my brother or B speak when I read. I actually found myself trying to hold in a gut-busting laugh on the subway when reading about how awesome it is to nail the parallel park on the first try, and his description of how it feels to attempt the parallel park. We all know what it's like, and when someone is able to describe it in such a way that makes it real, it just becomes funny.

Honourable Mention: Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger was... well, interesting. It was one of those books that I loved, but remained relatively detached from the characters. I never felt that connection, or realness about them, that I often get when I truly love a book. Near the end I found the book turned rather dark (then again, it is set around Highgate Cemetary in London), but I suppose The Time Travellers Wife was a little dark in it's own way as well. It was definitely different, and I think worth the read!

With this batch I also discovered a love of Kate Morton's books! Don't be surprised to find more of her work in my next ten books! I absolutely adore her characters and she is such a brilliant writer! If you haven't picked up one of her book before, I urge you to go and do so now. You won't regret it!

What have you been reading and loving recently!? With 80 more books to read to hit my goal, I'm open to any and all recommendations!
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Great recommendations! I've read a couple, but am looking forward to reading your top pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I need a list of good books to read! Must bookmark this! My most recent fav: The Help and Lullabies for Little Criminals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic!! I love a good read:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig