Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Fall Florals

Happy Tuesday friends! It definitely feels like a Monday, so how nice to have a short week ahead of us. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving weekend and celebrated with the people that you love the most. We were surrounded by some guests from south of the border and we did everything that we could to have the house be a welcoming place for them. Part of that included creating the perfect fall floral arrangement for our Thanksgiving weekend. 


Fall Flower Arrangement

Mid week last week a package arrived from the people at Pottery Barn, containing the beautiful Evleen Vase

Pottery Barn Evleen VasePottery Barn Evleen Vase

Pottery Barn Evleen Vase

It's the smallest vase in this style, and it is just the perfect size for a centrepiece on a table,  or to sit on top of a mantel. I'm in love the mercury glass base, and I know that it will work perfectly for every season and holiday. 

Along with the vase, I was provided with a $25 gift certificate to head over to our local florist, Magnolia's on Main. I was so excited not only to be getting some pretty flowers, but also to be shopping local and supporting a small business! The shop itself runs on 80% locally grown flowers, so that was exciting to learn as well. So, last Friday I dropped by to look around and pick out the perfect flowers for a lovely autumn inspired arrangement. 

Flowers from Magnolias on Main

Flowers from Magnolias on Main

Flowers from Magnolias on Main

I knew when I showed up that I wanted to move away from the traditional fall colours - so there would be no yellow, orange and red bouquet coming home with me. After browsing around a little, I settled on dark purples and sunny yellows.


Purple and Yellow Fall Flowers

When I arrived home, it was about more than just plopping those pretty blooms into my new vase. It was time to start arranging them to look lovely. I started by creating a grid at the top of my vase to help with arranging. It was just a matter of cutting up some tape and sticking it to the top of the vase. 

tape grid on vase for floral arranging

Next, I took a moment to separate all of the beautiful blooms so I could evaluate exactly what I had to work with. Then each stem had to be trimmed down so that they would sit properly in our shorter vase. This step also included removing a few lower leaves so that they would fit nicely into the vase. 

Fall Flowers

Fall Flowers

Trimming Flower Stems

Finally, I was able to have fun putting all the flowers into the vase. I spent a lot of time placing them and arranging and rearranging. I started with the flowers, then used some of the pretty grasses and finished it all off by filling in empty spaces and supporting some of the blooms with greenery. By working in this order, I was able to space the flowers out and make sure that the arrangement was nice and full all the way around.

Flower Arranging

Making a Flower Arrangement

The final product was so perfect - each flower was gorgeous and I'm so glad I opted for a little bit of rich purple with those sunny yellow flowers. Of course, the decorative grasses really helped to make the whole arrangement feel a bit more festive for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Fall Flower Arrangement

Fall Flower ArrangementFall Flower Arrangement

Fall Flower Arrangement

I also used the pretty gold ribbon that was wrapped around the flowers, and tied it around my pretty new Evleen vase. I think it was a nice touch to finish off the whole thing.

Fall Flower Arrangement

Fall Flower ArrangementFall Flower Arrangement

Fall Flower ArrangementFall Flower Arrangement

This was such a fun post to work on, especially as a reminder that fresh flowers are not just for the Spring and Summer. The fall is actually the perfect time to bring some beautiful flowers into the house to brighten things up as everything starts to go to sleep for the cooler months. I also loved piecing together an arrangement for this season that was a little outside the norm - avoiding the traditional orange, red and yellow combination. 

Are you bringing any pretty flowers into your house for the fall season? 
SHARE:

2 comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig