Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Tiny Memories

Don't you find that when you are at the beginning of something, you always start off with far more focus and determination? Well, I'm definitely feeling that right now as I continue along on my journey to complete as many of the projects on our to-do list as possible. Last week, I shared the first step in making our front entry closet a more organized space, and today I wanted to share the first of the few small updates that I plan to make to Halle's nursery.


A few weeks ago, I picked up this shadow box from HomeSense that was on clearance for $10. 


January 3, 2012


The colour wasn’t what I wanted (I knew that would be easy enough to change), but the size and shape were perfect for what I planned to display in it. 


January 3, 2012


January 3, 2012

First things first, I unscrewed the back to get the  whole thing apart, and then used a little glass cleaner and elbow grease to get that stubborn sticker off the glass. Once everything got a quick wipe down, it was onto the painting portion.


Despite having the same turquoise on her dresser, and another frame on her wall, I decided to use it again for this piece. I figured that in the future her dresser may get painted again or even sold off, and picture frames can always be changed out – but this box I really wanted to represent her time as a baby. So, I pulled out our left over Thai Teal and after about four coats (I made this more difficult on myself by not priming before painting), her pretty little box looked like this...


January 11, 2012

January 11, 2012

Next, it was time to start thinking about filling it. I already knew I wanted her tiny yellow tutu inside, but it was time to shop her nursery for more. First, I decided that her yellow "H", that I had purchased for the empty frame on her wall would go inside. I never got around to putting it in the frame, which I decided I could remove from the wall when we made our tweaks. The final piece, which would always remind us of her tinyness, was her little hand print we had done at six weeks, by Wee Piggies and Paws...


January 11, 2012

With my final memories chosen, it was time to get them in place. The tutu was the easiest. I simply used the pins that came with the box, and pinned the back waistband to the board. This kept it in place without damaging it, and the pins were easily kept out of sight...

January 11, 2012

The next part I wanted to get into place was her letter H. Since I knew that I wouldn't want to move this, I used my glue gun to adhere it to the back of the shadow box...

Shadow Box

Shadow Box

Halle's handprint was a whole other story. I knew that I didn't want to make this permanent, since I may want to switch it out in the future, but also because the back of it looks like this...

Shadow Box

Sweet, right? How could I ever hide that forever? So, in order to attach it, I used a safety pin on the ribbon, and hid it behind Halle's little skirt. The perfect solution, so that I can still remove it to show it off when I want too!

Shadow Box

Lastly, I wanted to add a little something for a decorative touch. So down into my craft room I ventured, and pulled out my jar of buttons. I found four that matched my colours and used my glue gun to add them to the back...

Shadow Box

I ADORE how the whole thing turned out, BUT you will have to come back next week to see the whole thing together... hanging on Halle's fully tweaked art wall! Yeah, I'm wasting no time on that to-do list!

What have you done to preserve memories that are special to you? Have you made any memory boxes, or do you scrapbook? I'd love to hear what you do to hold onto those memories that are special to you!
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I think it will look fab! I LOVE, love, love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crafty girl!!! That looks so cute! I love the pearlized, shiny finish on the handprint too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I love it! That tutu is way too adorable! Can't wait to see it on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! That tutu is just too cute :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what I see so far!!! Her tutu is precious :) I just pulled a shadow box out of my hallway closet I forget I had, I'm to use to create a shadow box from Avery :)I love your ideas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet idea Kerry, cherish all the wonderful memories she's given you so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a tease! it looks great though, love that tutu. And aren't homesense stickers the WORST??

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so mean! :) I can't wait to see how this turned out - the colour is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Home Sense stickers are totally the WORST! this is adorable, can't wait to see it all finsihed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig