Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Full Steam Ahead!

Last week we officially proclaimed our to-do list for 2012. With a lot to accomplish, and a lot of motivation, we got right down to business, starting with the first spot you see in our home - the front entrance.


The big closet thatwe put into our front entrance in late 2010 was meant to help with our storage and organization issue in this little ol' house. While it has served us well in the storage department, it hasn't been doing so hot in the area of organization...


January 4, 2012


Not pretty, right? It had been bothering me for ages, so I was happy to work on this one early on. My first step was to pull everything off that top shelf. I organized a basket of dog stuff, and the second held all of our scarves, mitts and other winter accessories. Any winter pieces we no longer needed or wanted were put into a donate bag. Our large collection of baseball caps was also sorted through - with one of B's old hats getting tossed in the trash and a couple going into the donate bag as well. 


With the top shelf under control, everything came out of the bottom and it got a good vacuum. There was one pair of old boots that went the way of the trash and a few pairs that went into our donate bag.

January 4, 2012

One thing that I was really happy about, was to get that old trunk out of the closet. It took up a ton of floor space, and with shoes just piled in there, it wasn't helping us stay very organized. So, to solve the shoe storage dilemma and clear up some floor space, we headed to IKEA and purchased two BISSA Shoe cabinets, which fit perfectly on the two ends of the closet (and at $30 a piece, were easy on the bank account)...

January 4, 2012

January 11, 2012


Each drawer is meant to hold four pairs of shoes, but since we had a few pairs of sandals and some of my flats, a couple of drawers held more than four and left us with some extra space for future storage. Clear floor space also means more space to store Halle's car seat and stroller. In the end, it makes me incredibly happy to see it finally looking nice and neat...

January 8, 2012

January 8, 2012

I'm loving that clear floor space! No more shoes just randomly tossed about on the floor. Now I won't be so embarrassed when guests come over and go to hang their coats in our closet. There is definitely still room for improvement, but things are already looking much better!

Have you started to tackle any projects on your to-do list? Maybe you've just been working on purging and organizing your home too? I'd love to hear what you've been doing around your home!
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Nice work! I SO need to do this in our front closet - it's a total mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great Kerry - I totally understand the satisfaction that comes with culling and reorganising a space...I had the same feeling with my wardrobe cull late last year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks nice. I began cleaning out my closets and garage too. Three closets down, one to go, and garage is almost done too. It feels nice getting them nice and organized. Right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Kerry! What do you do with wet and snowy boots? They're not pretty, so I'm never surprised when people leave them out of these posts...but I do wonder! How do you store them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies! @Danielle - wet snowy boots usually get left to dry under the window and console table. Not much we can do about those.... but I would like to find a better solution in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi from Portugal ,love your blog ,you closet looks much better and i love the fact that you did not needed to spend to much money to make it look like that.
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for showing a closet that actually has coats in it. I get so sick of magazines and blogs that show a reorganized closet with 3 coats in it! That isn't how it works at my house. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig