Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fancied Up For Fall

While B's parents were here visiting, it gave me a little bit more time to accomplish some things around our home. For one, I was finally able to start decorating our home for the Autumn season (not that it has felt much like Autumn around these parts recently). The #1 thing I wanted to get on top of was creating a fall mantel. I've never done one in the past, so I thought it would be fun to try and work with what we already have. This is my first attempt and it may evolve before it comes down, but here's a look for you...


Fall Mantel 2011

Fall Mantel 2011

Fall Mantel 2011

It was thrown together rather quickly on zero budget. The leaves I made the other weekend, by simply outlining a maple leaf and then using my water colours to paint them in different shades of turning leaves. I originally planned on making a garland, but we liked how they looked just taped onto the mantle (cheap? absolutely!). The red latern I picked up when I went antiquing last fall, the wooden picture frame comes from Chapters. I bought it last month and plan on putting one of Halle's baby photos in it. The munchkin pumpkin is Halle's first pumpkin that we picked up at the pumpkin patch this weekend for $0.75. The white ceramic gourd I bought last year and the glass vase I keep on the mantel year round. I just added some acorn vase filler that I picked up last season at HomeSense. 

Cheap and cheerful - but I'm not sure I'm absolutely in love with it. What is your fall mantel looking like? What would you add to ours? I'd love to hear your feedback! 
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Oh how i wish we had a mantel!! Looks cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheap and cheerful! that's what i'm talking about...i literally used staples and tape to make fall bunting. how have you never decorated your mantle for fall? goodness! love that ceramic gourd and the books stacked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your mantel looks just so warm and inviting with the colours, textures and roaring fire! i love it! we don't have a mantel to decorate and i've never really gotten into fall decor too much before but i'm trying a bit this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. great! i love the mantle--super cute~ i haven't gotten any decor up! need to get with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ceramic gourd is amazing I love it!! Great that you used watercolors for the leaves instead of construction paper or something. The only thing I'd add is some more fullness - a tall clear vase with sticks/twigs in it would be awesome behind or next to that frame. Great job - love the fire too;) Did you paint your brick that color?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! I so wish I had a mantle to decorate...maybe someday!

    xoxo,
    Joelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig