Thursday, October 6, 2011

Guest Post - Nutmeg & Company

Well, it's Thursday, and today is the final day of my fantastic new blogger guest posts! Today's post comes from Meg over at Nutmeg & Company. You may already be familiar with here and she was recently included in Style at Home's round up of bloggers favourite fall trends! Lucky lady! Here's what Meg wanted to share with you all today...


Hello First Time Fancy readers!  I’m Meg from Nutmeg & Company, and I’m excited to be here to guest post today.  Kerry has been so sweet and supportive of my new blog  (she has featured my work twice on her Friday Faves) and I’m very grateful for her support.


nut-header


I have a serious passion for design and blogging.  We are renovating a historical home that we moved into in July and I'm loving working on the design. The renovation is a slow process, and we’re trying to complete it one room at a time, as time and our budget allows.  My husband is also a general contractor. We own a construction company, so he is usually able to complete all the projects on my ‘honey do’ list!


My hubby works really hard, and he’s an amazing person. The best husband and father you could ask for. So, for our anniversary this past July, I wanted to give him something really special.  I don’t consider myself an artist...  Or at least, I didn’t before.  But I am creative, so I  decided to try my hand at making a large painting for our master bedroom.


I have always loved this painting, and it was the inspiration for my work:


Heaven


I have an artist friend who helped set me up, gave me a few pointers and a studio space to work in so the project could be a total secret.   I painted in his studio in the evenings and his classroom during the days (he teaches grade one!).  I worked on the painting and finished it just in time for our move into our new house, which coincided with our 12 year anniversary.


I'm not going to lie,  it took a surprising amount of time.  I worked on a large piece of hardboard  - first prepping it with gesso and painting the background.  Then I painted on the words with an alphabet block stencil.  It was very time consuming but I was so pleased with how it turned out.


meg-paint


meg-paint2

The words are the lyrics to 'Have a Little Faith In Me' by John Hiatt.  We danced our first song as husband and wife to that song so it's really meaningful to us.  My hubby was stunned.  First, because I've never painted anything other than a wall before.  And second, because he had no idea I'd been working on it.


The painting is serving as the jumping off point for our master bedroom design.  I'm framing it with rough wood and it will hang above our headboard.  We are working on that project now so come on over to see my design board and check out the progress!

Thanks for having me today, Kerry!
xo Meg


Thanks so much Meg for participating this week. You know I love that painting! I hope that you all enjoyed these newer blogs. It was fun to share some of my new favourites that I hope are now a part of your favourites list as well! Despite a busy week over here, I will be back tomorrow with a Fancy Friday post - so be sure to pop by!
SHARE:

1 comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig