Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cookin' it in the Kitchen with B

One food that I have managed to break free from is ground beef as an ingredient in my cooking. From chili to burgers I usually substitute ground turkey or ground chicken as a healthier option into my recipes. In the next recipe homerun I hit a new favorite of Kerry's with Buffalo chicken meatloaf.
This recipe is fast, easy and hearty on a cold night where you want some comfort food without the guilt. This recipe originated from the Biggest Loser Cookbook via a few different websites I found with the same recipe.


Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf
Source
Ingredients:

Olive oil spray
2/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup fat free milk
1/3 cup hot sauce, plus more to sprinkle on top
1 lb extra-lean ground chicken breast
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup crumbled reduced fat blue cheese(I omitted this from my recipe)


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly mist a nonstick loaf pan with olive oil spray.

Combine oats and milk in a medium size mixing bowl. Mix well. Let stand for 3 minutes or until oats are softened. Stir in the hot sauce until well mixed. Add chicken, celery, carrots, onion, egg whites, and salt. The best way to mix this is to roll up your sleeves and have at it. Add blue cheese and gently mix.(optional)

Transfer mixture to pan and spread so that top is flat. If you're like me and like it hot, then splash on some more hot sauce (Frank's is my personal favorite) and spread evenly. Bake 35 to 40 mins or until chicken is no longer pink. Makes 4 servings.

With the leftovers, you can grill a slice up the next day and make a quick meatloaf sandwhich for lunch...MmmmMmmm.

SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I'm not usually a fan of meatloaf but this sounds quite delish- thanks for the recipe- I so need to add to my cooking repetoire so this was great! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm, looks yummy!

    Never thought of chicken meat loaf!

    Thanks, I might try this recipe later as it gets colder here in S.Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a good meatloaf and bacon will make it even better! Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE meatloaf. i've never made a chicken version, but me beef meatloaf with a sweet glaze is one of my favourite meals. good job B!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have never heard of meatloaf made with chicken! i have got to try it! looks yum~

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny! I just made this too. Though I made mine the extreme unhealthy verion :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig