Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Little More Masterful

If you follow First Time Fancy over on Facebook, then the other week you may have seen the headboard I had discovered on craigslist, and was considering for our bedroom...


314040_267943066638544_971203295_n

I was actually surprised on how much feedback I received... including from people who don't even follow me. However, the feedback was great and definitely confirmed that it was an excellent find. So we were in touch with the owner and eventually we drove out to see it, and ultimately make it our own. I just loved all of the detail in it. 

A lot of the feedback I received was to leave it as is, or to strip and restain it. Well, I'll start but saying I hate stripping anything... let alone a detailed piece like this - so that was immediately out of the question, and B agreed. Second, as heavy and solid as this piece may look, it's actually made out of soft pine, nothing that we would feel really bad about painting. Finally, we tried it out, as is, in our bedroom and it's definitely way too dark. So, out to my "workshop" (aka the empty sunroom) it went for some paint. 

July 2012

July 2012

I picked "Distant Grey", which is a Brian Glukstein colour, and had it colour matched at Home Depot to Behr's Premium, paint and primer in one interior gloss. It was the perfect white for our room on the paint chip, and just and perfect in person. 

July 2012

I was incredibly impressed with how well the first coat covered the headboard, especially with how dark it was originally. You can also probably tell from the above photo that I skipped a major step and did not sand down the piece... but really - can you blame me? I would've been there for months sanding that thing down if I wanted to do the whole thing. Despite skipping this big step, the paint covered beautifully and had stayed really nicely.

In the end, I settled on two coats of paint on the piece. There are some spots where the wood shows through a tiny bit, giving the piece a little bit of a worn look and we both love it. I didn't really want it to be pure white, so I'd say I got exactly what I wanted. Here she is all lightened up and living in our much more masterful, master bedroom.

August 6, 2012

Oh yes, and my frame's and ampersand - I hung those before we even had the headboard in the house. Let me tell you how happy I am that I hung them so high! I'm still waiting to receive the files from Halle's one year photo shoot before I print the photos for those frames, so for now, they stay empty.

August 6, 2012

As white as it looks from a distance, when you get up close you get a better look at the worn quality of it...

August 6, 2012

Having a big statement headboard really makes a huge difference in the space, and much like our painted chairs, it's a way to add some character to our rental without putting any money into the actual house. I really do love it. We've come a long way from sleeping on the guest bedroom mattress on the floor in here...

August 6, 2012

For now I'm using our console table, that actually belongs in the front all, as a night stand. It's working well, but I'd really like to find a better piece, preferably one that has a mate so that B can have one on his side as well. At the moment he has an old painted dresser that we picked up on craigslist. It's a little too high to be a night table and the drawers stick a little. I think it would work better in the guest room, so my search for the right bedside tables continues. It's just hard to find two pieces that are the right size, provide us with good storage and at a price point that we like - but we'll just have to keep looking. 

August 6, 2012

These are only the first of many updates to this room. I'd love some pretty toss pillows in here, and some roman shades for the windows on either side of our bed. They look out into the sunroom, and since we hope to make that a nice place to hang out, I'd like the option to close them when we have company over. Like any space, it will all take some time and patience to find the right pieces to give us that perfect layered look, and I know in the end it will be worth it. 
SHARE:

19 comments

  1. Looks fantastic! Although the before was pretty great, the white really helped lighten up the room. Everything's coming together quite nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. O-M-G! what an incredible piece. Love it, painted and all. Can't wait to see your other projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I love it! When you first posted this picture my initial thought was "paint it white!" So glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fab Kerry!! I love what a few coats of paint can do to refresh an older piece :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find!! I love the bright, fresh look the white paint gives it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks awesome! Love that you painted it white. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the headboard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind one bit! I think we paid $70 or $75 for it - don't remember exactly, but it was one of those two. I wouldn't consider it a "steal", but it was a decent price for a pretty quality headboard. A lot of the other stuff that was up for grabs was IKEA furniture, and it just wasn't what I was looking for, for our bedroom this time around! :)

      Delete
    2. $70 for a good quality wood headboard is amazing!! We just did a small reno (still in progress) with our bedroom, check it out and let us know what you think Kerry! (how2home.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/how-to-our-bedroom-makeover/)

      Delete
  7. What a difference it has made! And it looks just perfect with your ampersand...I can empathise with your search for bedside tables, I'm in the same position. My problem is that the bedroom is quite narrow, and many options are just too wide...so in the meantime I continue to haunt ebay (sadly, no craiglist in the UK), and hope that the perfect pair will eventually present themselves. Good luck with your search!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing piece! While I personally wouldn't have painted it, I don't blame you one bit for doing so! It takes a special type of decorating style for that dark wood and detail to fit in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! I understand a lot of people wouldn't have wanted to paint it either. It wasn't "bad" before by any means, and was actually in pretty good condition, but like you said the dark wood just really didn't fit with our style! :)

      Delete
  9. whoa. whoa and wow. that is awesome, i love it painted, and way better than any tufted headboard, which is what i thought you were gonna do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it. Looks so much better painted! Brightens up the space nicely. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a change ,it is looking better and better evryday.
    You really know how to transform a house in to a home.
    Sweet dreams ;)
    xoxo
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lulu! :) It really is feeling more and more like "home" with every little project we complete.

      Delete
  12. Yes!! I love it, what an incredible find and I'm totally on board, painting it was definitely the way to go. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kerry that looks amazing! It's incredible how a headboard can finish a room. Good call on painting it too, looks great that way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That head board turned out awesome! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig