Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Project Reduce The Waste: DIY Dryer Sheets

When we were planning our move, B and I had agreed we wanted to try and minimize the amount of stuff we brought across the country with us. Not only to simplify the move, but our life on the west cost as well. We try to live simply and enjoy life, and we also try to be as green as possible. So when we left behind all of our laundry detergent, etc with my parents to use, we had to buy everything all over again out here. 


We picked up our usual eco-friendly laundry detergent, and some fabric softener at Costco last week (it's not eco... but they don't sell eco-friendly fabric softener at our Costco), but we passed on the dryer sheets. They create so much waste, and I had read and heard about ways to create your own dryer sheets at home. I knew that this was the answer for us, especially since we have so many old kitchen towels that we no longer need or use. This project will not only stop us from adding tons of dryer sheets to the landfills, but also stop old ratty cloths from heading there as well. Interested in making your own dryer sheets too? Here's what you'll need...


DIY Dryer Sheets



1. Old cloths, towels, shirts, etc that you are okay cutting up and parting with
2. Fabric softener
3. A container


Sounds pretty simple, right? Well, because it is! First step is to take those cloths/shirts/towels (whatever fabric it is you choose to use), and cut them up into smaller sizes. For me, I had two tea towels and a wash cloth. Each tea towel I ripped into four sections, and the wash cloth got ripped in half...


DIY Dryer Sheets

From three old cloths that we no longer need or use, I was given 10 dryer sheets!

DIY Dryer Sheets

Next, I added some fabric softener to my container and soaked my cloths in it. I flipped them and let them soak it up from all sides, before ringing out excess and letting it soak again.

DIY Dryer Sheets

Once you're done with the soaking, wringing, repeat process all you have to do is let those babies dry! Simple as that. The dry sheets can then be tossed in with your wet laundry, and i've read that they can be used a dozen times are more... but we'll see how many times they go. Regardless, I feel pretty good knowing that I'm keeping dryer sheets and these old towels out of the landfills for now! 

What little tips and tricks do you use around your home to reduce the amount of waste you create? I'd love to hear some of them!
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Awesome idea Kerry! I definitely have a costco sized tub of dryer sheets that are completely unecessary - I'm definitely going to give this a try once we run out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! I will try this! wow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Kerry! I'm going to try this, mostly because I hate buying dryer sheets... they are sooo expensive these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea. But have you seen those new Bounce dryer sticks? You seriously stick them in your dryer and your set for 80-90 loads. LOVE THEM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way!! That is a great tip. I have heard those balls with nubs on them are good, but that they can be loud. These DIY sheets are the perfect compromise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are turning into a great west coaster already being all eco-friendly and such!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig