Wednesday, January 2, 2013

In Remembrance

Initially, I planned on jumping right back into blogging today. I mean, after all, everyone is starting to return to "normality" after the hustle and bustle of the holiday season right? Okay... not everyone. Definitely not everyone.

Today, my post will be a little short and a little personal, and so very necessary. Today's post is in remembrance of an old friend of mine. We were good friends years and years ago, when we were 13 or so. Over the course of high school we lost touch, and in the past few years we reconnected on Facebook. About a year ago she messaged me - told me she was a regular reader of this little ol' blog and loved seeing what we shared and enjoyed all of the photo's of little Miss H. It touched me to hear from her and have her say such nice things, especially since this lovely lady herself was a graduate of an Interior Design program. It seemed we had a lot in common and we spoke about meeting up, catching up and just generally spending some time together. It never happened before we moved, and sadly, me and this old friend will never have our chance to reconnect in person.

On Thursday December 27th, my friend passed away at home after a long battle with cancer. It broke my heart, and I cried when I heard the news. She is all I have thought about since then, and today I wanted to pay my respects to her in one of the small ways I knew how. Today she will be laid to rest, and since I cannot be at the service in Toronto in person, I will remember her here. 

I will remember her as the happy, bubbly person I knew. She was strong and determined. Always straightforward, and such a loyal friend. It may have been years since we last spent time together, but through our conversations online, and all of the kind words others have been leaving on her Facebook page, it sounds like I am remembering her exactly as others are.

So today, I will remember my old friend. I will hold her in my thoughts, but also in my heart. I will also ask you to reach out to that old friend you've been thinking of, to call that family member you haven't heard from in a while, and to hug all of those close to you and remind them how much you love and appreciate them. Please don't let these days slip by, because as I was reminded over the holiday season, none of us are promised tomorrow, so make the most of the days you have with the people you love most.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. I am so sorry about your loss. I am glad you got the chance to reconnect with her

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear this. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your friend. I'm sure in the short time you reconnected with her she brought something special to your life. I too lost a friend on Thursday to cancer. My boss of 8 years died after fighting brain cancer for 3.5 years. So sad to hear of close ones dying from this crazy disease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kerry, I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost one of my best friends to cancer 4 years ago and I still think about her everyday. You've given her a lovely tribute!! Thinking of you and sending you all the positive thoughts I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Kerry....but your words ring true, we are never promised a tomorrow! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear that - your sentiments and advice are just what we should be doing every day - take care.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig