Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Project Inspiration

Things have been pretty quiet around here on the decoration front. We haven't spent much time or money or projects recently, which has left me with very little to blog about. We did do a bit more exploring over the weekend, but I'm questioning if people want to be reading about our weekend day trips all the time. 


Even though we haven't been working away on stuff, I have been collecting some inspiration for projects that we do plan to tackle... especially for our master bedroom. I haven't shared any of the room with you, even though we have been adding to it slowly, and that's because there is not much to share at all. One item on our to-do list that I would like to get to sooner rather than later, is adding a headboard. We hemmed and hawed over what we wanted for a while. I did shopping both around here and online, but I never came up with anything that I loved. 


For a while I was pretty certain I wanted a wingback headboard... but I'm starting to realize, it doesn't really fit with the look I actually want. 


via pinterest



Next, I thought maybe we could just find a nice big piece of art to put over the bed... but really, we have a king size bed and huge wall space. It would probably cost us quite a lot to go that route, and that's not something that we are willing to do in a rental. 


via pinterest
{via pinterest}

Then, last week, it came to me during a late night Pinterest session...


via pinterest

I'm thinking I may try to use old Pallets, but if I can get my hand on some old barn board, I may try that as well. I'll have to see what is available to me out here for a decent price. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing and I'll have to find something special to add to it. A quote, or word or lyric or something. The wheels are turning, and I'm hoping I can at least get this whole thing rolling before the end of the month. *fingers crossed*

Is anyone else feeling in a bit of a creative slump recently? What do you do to get out of it? Or maybe you are working on a project of your own at the moment! Maybe hearing about other's projects will help me to get motivated again?
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Everyone gets in a slump sometimes! I think it's fun to read about your life and travels too, while you guys are settling in.
    I do really like the idea for the headboard. We've been considering something similar for our master because we have some great barn board leftover from Elliott's room. I always love the warmth that old, beat up texture brings to a room.
    Did you see the Sarah101 where she made a sort of chevron-barnboard island for a kitchen? I think putting the boards together in a chevron or herringbone pattern would be really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I would love to FINALLY be decorating. But with so much $$ going into renos, I'm not sure when the actual decorating will begin.

    I really love your idea for a headboard, but would worry about splinters! :)

    We are all in a slump at some point. Enjoy your non-reno time. Soon enough you will be out of the rental and back to construction dust

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the barn door head board...i think it'll look awesome in the new room and on top of that it could totally be a DIY project. What is the overall theme you're trying to achieve?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in a slump too. Hard to get motivated when I am not 100 % sure we will be staying in this house at the end of summer! I am trying to work on things that will come with us though.

    Love the barn board idea, try the free section on Craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing about your weekeing explorations too, it makes things more personal to hear about the person/family behind the blog :) I too am in a slump, as I'm sure you can tell from my lack of posts in the last little while! we do have things we should be getting done around here (and I even have a few posts started as drafts but have no motivation to finish/publish them right now) but I find I get home from work exhausted with zero motivation! I'll be on vacation soon though so I hope it'll come back to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! :)

    @How2home - I wish I could email you back at answer all of your questions! :) As for the look, we want it to feel young and fun, but I'm also looking for it to have a relaxed almost country/beach inspired feel. Nothing too obvious or in your face... just the right touches here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerry! Sorry, didnt mean to bombard you with all my questions! In case you're interested in making your own barn headboard designsponge has a great tutorial (http://www.designsponge.com/2011/11/diy-project-salvaged-barnwood-headboard.html) hope this helps! Sorry!

      Delete
    2. No, no no! Please don't apologize! I am glad you are asking questions - emails are always just a great way to answer them is all! Helps us chat as well! ;) Thanks for the link. I think my source links back to it as well - I think it's a great tutorial! Now we just need to find the right wood ;) Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. ...woops missed a few here..Thanks for the intro to the book ..looks wonderful! Also A gret kitchen you had featured! And your 3 dads are adorable!
    I love your idea of a head board and it is the exact one my daughter had pinned for her room!So the only thing about pallet boards is if they have been treated...danger...but go to Funky Junk Interiors, she is here in the Valley, blog to read about pallets. She is a worth of information!
    SUNSHINE today yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your inspiration picture! The writing and the quote really make it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, don't worry about it, that's real life we don't always have time/money/energy to constantly be doing blog worthy stuff. I, for one, love hearing about all your weekend adventure in that beautiful province you get to live in! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE that barn board idea! I love the posts about life, just as much as decoration because life isn't always DIY. I love even more when you mention that you're enjoying your time with Halle. The most important part!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig