Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fancy Magazine Storage

For a while I've been thinking about taking it upon myself to spice up my IKEA magazine holders. I wanted something fun and colourful, something with pattern. It took me a while, but finally I realized my best option would be that beautiful paper I bought last month from Chapters.



I started by taking my magazine holders, and tracing all of the four sides onto the back of the paper. (Oh, and don't make the same mistake as me... make sure that you don't trace the same sides twice... yeah, I know, big mistake... but at least it was an easy fix!)



I just used scissors to cut out the shapes. I'm sure I could've tried to use a razor to cut them, but I found it much easier with the scissors. Once I had all of the (correct) pieces cut out, it was time to adhere them. Out came the trusty spray glue...


I sprayed the glue on the back deck, and used a paper towel tucked inside of the magazine holders to make sure the insides didn't become tacky. The last thing I want is these holders to destroy my magazines! The spraying went pretty quickly, and once all of the sides were on I used a razor to clean up any edges where the paper was overlapping and sticking out. The final product? Well - take a look for yourself and let me know what you think...


I think they look so fun, and B even mentioned that they look great! That's pretty huge since he rarely has an opinion on projects like this! It's big impact for very little effort! I'll have to keep my eyes out for more fun papers, as I have a feeling I'll have to be picking up some more magazine holders soon! 

Do you have a fun and fantastic way to store all of your magazines? Or do you keep it simple? I'd love to hear your approach!

I must also thank Anne-Marie from 10 Rooms! I won a giveaway over on her blog yesterday, and will be receiving free tickets to the Toronto Fall Home Show! Thanks so much Anne-Marie! Will I be seeing anyone else there?
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. These look great Kerry! I have been looking for some decorative paper like that for a filing cabinet I want to cover.

    Oh and I want to hear more about this project you and B want to undertake using Canadian Salvaged Timber! Maybe on the 30th??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Those look like fancy Container Store or Anthropoligie holders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a simple change, but it makes such an impact. it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they turned out great! love the paper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea! I love this! I love spray adhesive, it's so awesome! Congrats on the awesome win! XX!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! was just going to tell you how pretty your magazine holders are and saw the note - you are more than welcome for the tickets, Kerry - you'll have to let us know what bit of the show you enjoyed the most :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally doing this. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig