Friday, October 9, 2009

First Thanksgiving Decor

I haven't had much time to write this week. Things have been a little stressful around our home as we prepared for a few house guests this holiday weekend. A friend of mine from University stayed with us Thursday night on her way home for the holiday, followed by B's parents arriving on Saturday to spend Thanksgiving at our house... oh yes, and it will be their FIRST TIME seeing the house in person!!! So there is quite a lot to be done!

Growing up, Thanksgiving is something that was never made a big deal of at our house, but something we always celebrated. Somewhere in there I came to love it, since it was always more laid back and still all about family. I then loved the holiday even more after celebrating American Thanksgiving with B's family for the first time two years ago. It's made me really want to make a bigger deal about Thanksgiving... especially with decorating! (What's better than that?) But of course, with buying a new house and all - our holiday decorating budget is pretty tight! So this past week I've spent some time researching and seeing what I could find in the way of inexpensive decorating.

My centre piece for our dinner came easily after picking up the October issue of Canadian House & Home.

Aren't these Pumpkins just absolutely adorable? So the other weekend I went out and picked up a couple of small white pumpkins (as well as orange) and a large sized white one. The larger one I plan on painting "Welcome" on the front in cursive and place it in our front entrance.

At the time of picking up my pumpkins, I also picked up a big bag of assorted gourds. I wasn't too sure what I was going to do with them at first, but eventually decided that I wanted to display them in a nice vase in our living room. So the other day I ran down to our local goodwill and found this wonderful vase that I was able to pick up for $6!!! Can't beat it!The brown ribbon is HALF of one left over from a house warming gift we got - so that was free!! The display itself cost me $10 and even B commented that he thought it looks really great!!

I continue to search for other ideas I can put into place before B's parents arrive tomorrow. I'm excited to get everything in place... and I'll be sure to share more photos after our weekend!

Happy Thanksgiving!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
© Life on Misneach Ridge
Blogger Designs by pipdig